Spätzle’s with Cabbage and onions
Spätzle’s with Cabbage & onions sautéed in Brown Butter:
Truly the easiest dumpling or pasta you will ever make!!
Flour – 1.5 cup
Sour Cream - ¼ cup
Splash of Milk -
Salt- 1 tsps
(Note if dough is still too thick just thin with water!)
- Crack eggs and put in stainless bowl big enough to mix all ingredients eventually together.
- Whip eggs till mixed well .
- Add 1.4 milk and a ¼ cup of sour cream or plain yogurt, mix in with eggs.
- Add 1 tsp Salt.
- Fold in 1 cup of flour, and blend into a dough. If dough is thin like a pancake add more flour, you want a consistency where dough will not drip through a slotted spoon.
- When mixed well transfer dough to a moistened cutting board. Moisten with water.
- In a large pot boil water that has been lightly salted.
- With dough on a cutting board cut dough in small slivers with a French knife and slide slivers of dough into boiling pot. When spätzle’s float the dumplings are ready to be consumed! Enjoy the simple old world treat!
In a shallow sauté pan, take a log of butter and melt, continue simmering till butter turns light brown which will give it a nutty flavor. When butter is light brown, then add 2.5 cups of diced cabbage and 8 to 10 green onions diced! Sautee all together till cabbage is soft. Then add still warm spätzle’s to pan mixing all well together. Salt and pepper to taste. To give it an even better taste I often add grated Parmesan or Romano cheese!!! I can to this day still remember my Nana Kostensky and mother working over the stove making this German, Hungarian and Austrian treat!!